Coming Soon | The 2.8L Duramax Diesel Engine
If you’re a pickup fan then keep your eye out for the 2016 Chevrolet Colorado with the 2.8L Duramax diesel engine! GM has perfected this small diesel engine overseas, and is finally bringing it home inside the 2016 Colorado and GMC Canyon!
Meet the 2.8L Duramax – the engine that’s been pushing Chevrolet’s international sales in Thailand. This four cylinder workhorse will not only output 200hp and 368 lb-ft of torque, but will also hit a 27 MPG average by current estimates.
Impressive, no? Chevrolet says they’ve added enhancements to the 2.8L Duramax to handle the increased power from the first-gen 2.5L Duramax, and have completely redesigned other components to improve the 2.8L’s durability. Upgrades to the 2.8L Duramax include a new common-rail system that is capable of up to 29,000 PSI as well as water-cooling for the turbocharger and turbine housing.
The EGR has been replaced to match the water cooled turbo, while the cylinder head and cylinder block have been redesigned to be lighter, stronger, and to cool more efficiently. All this wouldn’t be complete without a new balancer shaft that reduces vibrations in the vehicle.
From what I’ve seen so far, the 2.8L Duramax is going to be a major contender once it hits the states and I can’t wait to test drive one. But the question is – will Chevy charge a premium for this otherwise cost effective engine made in Thailand?
Duramax 2.8L Diesel Engine Highlights:
- Commonrail system - The high pressure fuel pump on the 2.8L operates at pressures up to 29,000 PSI, which enhances engine efficiency.
- Turbo – Chevrolet improved the variable-geometry turbo with a water-cooling system that reduces heat when operating at high speeds and full load. This improvement helps extend the life of the turbo and the engine.
- EGR valve and EGR cooler - The 2.8L has a new EGR system that decreases exhaust emissions by reducing charge temperature and excess levels of O2 in the combustion chamber.
- Intake manifold – The 2.8L Duramax uses a lighter, higher efficiency intake manifold that helps improve engine performance. The redesigned intake manifold allows increased exhaust gas recirculation, and increases air intake efficiency.
- Cylinder Head - Chevrolet redesigned the 2.8L’s cylinder head to have a larger exhaust port and water passage to aid cooling efficiency. The 2.8L features improved oil distribution to enhance lubricant to the cylinder head. The cylinder head is also lighter in weight.
- Cylinder block - The cylinder block features a new water jacket and cooling circuit design to help with heat exchange. Like the cylinder head, the cylinder block is also lighter.
- Balance shaft unit - Redesigned components inside the balancer shaft reduce engine vibration and noise.
- Engine control module (ECM) - Chevrolet developers have come up with a new ECM for quicker response, improved accuracy and precision of overall engine control.
- MPG – The estimated fuel economy for the 2.8L Duramax is 27 MPG